Sunday 24 March 2013

The great fabric challenge

My bag making started with a slight fabric obsession (my husband would smirk at the use of the word 'slight'!), so there's nothing I like more than a fabric challenge. I love it when people drop by my website, browse my gallery, and then get in touch with a custom request. In the last few weeks I've had a couple of interesting challenges which I thought I'd share for this weeks handmade Monday ...

First there was Holly, who wanted one of my bucket bags...

but made from fabric with rabbits on it. Not as easy as it sounds. There are plenty of childrens nursery type fabrics with rabbits on them, but not so many which might work when made into a bag.

So, with a lot of help from google I managed to get a shortlist, but none of them quite fit the bill. Fortunately the customer also did a bit of searching and found this rabbit fabric.

In order to try and make the most of the rabbits, but without making a bag which is too pale and doesn't wear well, we've decided to make a patchwork patter with the rabbits and green, pink and brown chenille.

I'll post some pictures when it's made.

My second request that week came from one of my regular customers looking for fabric with ballroom dancers on it. I have to confess this one nearly defeated me. But with a little help from some Facebook and Craft Forum friends I managed to find this fabric.
Which has now been made into a pencil case and small coin purse.

Along with another custom order for the same person who requested a square purse with owls on it.
At least owl fabric is a doddle to find!


17 comments:

  1. Wow you had your brain stretched with those orders. Well done on finding the right fabrics and making such lovely bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top marks on all three challenges. I particularly like the ballroom fabric although I am looking forward to seeing the rabbit bag finished. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been quite rewarding sourcing those fabrics and they have made up into some lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great fabric, the ballroom dancers is a very unusual choice but works really well.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rabbit fabric is gorgeous, is it Belle and Boo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. has sounded like a major challenge, but it must be quite exciting to follow someone elses guidelines as i find it can be quite easy to stick to a similar colour palette otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with your fabric searches. The ballroom fabric is lovely. So unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little purse - I've made a similar one this weekend, but it's not as neat as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ballroom dancing fabric looks very retro, but I think the rabbits are also my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh I love custom requests too - scary though when you think you won't be able to get the right material! Look forward to seeing the bunny rabbit bag when it's finished. Love the owl purse :-) Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bizee, bizee times - well done. Lovely work and the rabbit material is so gorgeous. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous fabrics and lovely makes. I think the ballroom fabric is wonderful and I image it would be really popular.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done you for finding the fabric. So worth it as the two cases look so elegant. The owl purse looks cute too!
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the bit I love about making too, I'm always up for a challenge when it comes to fabric finding. I can't wait to see your finished bags xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the owl.. am actually going to get to the sewing machine tonight as himself is off playing badminton! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some quite different requests there. If any of us need a fabric that we can't find, it seems you will be the person to hire to track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your blog by way of Handmade Success.....awesome looking bags!

    ReplyDelete