Sunday 18 November 2012

Bespoke Orders

I've been really lucky to have quite a few custom orders over the last few weeks. Custom orders are always a bit of a mixed bag (quite literally in my case!).

On the one hand there's more pressure not to make a mistake which might result in a slight redesign and I'm always a bit worried that my interpretation of what's in their heads might not match up to their expectations.

But on the other hand I get to take someone else's ideas and try making something perhaps a little bit different to the bags I usually make. And of course, they often involve choosing and buying more fabric!

So this week I finally finished the bag/s I made for Fiona. I just have to wait and see which one she wants. I figured her grey and pink colour combination would be popular, so whichever one she doesn't want will end up for sale in my shop.






I've also completed, (oops, a bit pre-emptive) I am now working on a yellow spotty glasses case. I hope this fabric fits the bill.
EDIT: Hot off the press.....
The nice thing about this order was it came from an existing customer. What better compliment than repeat custom!?

And I've just started on a couple of round bottomed messenger bags based this style.
Handmade messenger bag
This order took a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to sort out. The order started off for one purple and one red messenger bag.

The purple one was sorted pretty quickly from some fabrics from my existing stash and using the same fabrics as a bag I'd made previously.
Floral print cotton lining
Purple faux suede
The red one started off with a request for a cream and red lining. My initial suggestions were a little loud for the customer and I really struggled to find the right fabric. In the end, just as I was about to admit defeat, I suggested a grey lining. So we've ended up with this colour combination which i'm really excited about. Can't wait to show you the finished items.
Red faux suede
Grey print lining fabric


25 comments:

  1. The bags you've made for Fiona are gorgeous. I'd find it hard to pick just one. The fabric inside is a lovely surprise, great contrast from the exterior. The little handmade charms are great. Have a lovely week.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. these all look absolutely gorgeous! you really have such a gift with bags :)

    the pink lining looks amazing on the grey bag you made for Fiona, i bet she is over the moon with the results! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always stretches the little grey cells a bit more which is not a bad thing when designing. I think that you have done a great interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been really busy. The materials you choose are simply gorgeous and I love all the little details you add that make them extra special. I love them all and I have no doubt your customers will do too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bags - such attention to detail. I know what you mean about custom orders - it feels like it's quite a big leap of faith by a customer, and you have to hope you're interpreting their ideas in the way they expect. I can't imagine you're not though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was touch and go with the red one to be honest - i felt i was so wide of the mark when we started discussing it was nice to finally get something sorted. I'm also a bit fussy about what i make - i know the customer is always right, but i like to be excited by the things i'm making.

      Delete
  6. Your bags look great, especially the care taken with lining fabrics, so they look good both inside and out. Love the spotty glasses case too!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bags as always, I agree that custom makes are slightly nerve racking but the satisfaction of producing what someone really wants is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great bags + i love the little handmade symbol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have some HbyH sew in labels too....but i keep forgetting to use them - doh!

      Delete
  9. I love that first bag, the fabric is lovely and the attention to detail does you proud.
    The glasses case is really summery, I love the colour of the fabric. I have to agree with you that it great to get orders from repeat customers. Well done.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the bag pattern isn't mine i have to confess!, but it does give me some really good tips and attention to details which i can try and put into my own designs/

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous Bags :-) I love the purple ones, I'm sure the 2nd will sell fast! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both the great bags!! Especially the little handmade tags....a great touch!!
    Have a great week!
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good that you get a little nervous about custom orders- means that you have high standards! I love the bags you made for Fiona, and am sure she'd be thrilled with either one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not thought about it like that - but now you've done the 'glass half full' thing for me i'll try and make sure i think of it as a good thing next time!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful bags as always. I like the first one but then again I like the second one and I can't wait to see the outcome of the red and grey one! Well done you on getting repeat orders :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Fiddly Fingers. I've sneaked a third one out of the red fabric i ordered because it was so much nicer than i was expecting when it arrives. Hope i can get all 3 done for next week

      Delete
  14. The bags looks great. You never know, maybe Fiona will like both of them and want both too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What really lovely makes - gorgeous fabrics. I especially like to red messenger bag. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoy reading about and seeing your makes - such professional finishes! Have you ever made bike panniers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I do keep thinking about it. My black bicycle panniers are soooooo dull. It would be great to have something I actually wanted to carry around even when I wasn't cycling. It would challenge my grey matter, but might try and make it a New Years resolution to try something in 2013!

      Delete
  17. Wow I think she could end up with both as I would find it hard to choose. Like you I love bespoke orders

    ReplyDelete

  18. Hello,
    How very pretty are your bags, i love the fresh and simple fabrics you use too...
    I found you via 'duni's studio' one of my favourite blogs.
    best wishes Daisy j

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love love love the bag you made for Fiona - it's gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete